Living in a secured area is one of the most basic requirements of human lives. However, due to the spike in the crime rate, this basic security requirement comes in question. But thanks to solar powered motion security lights, living in a safe surrounding is not that difficult anymore. Solar powered motion sensor security lights are cost-effective, long-lasting and do not require any connection to any electrical grid.
Think about it, you have a blackout in the locality and you are devoid of lights for a good few hours. This gives thieves the ideal opportunity to enter the house! Sends chills down your spine right? Well, now you do not have to worry about it since sensor solar powered security lights can save you and your house!
So, if you are thinking about installing such lights in your house, this article is sure to come in handy. In addition to the best products in the market, we will cover the features, benefits and such other details which will make your purchase decision easy and well thought after.
Top 12 Best Outdoor Solar Powered Motion Security Lights
**Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Best Solar Powered Motion Security Lights – Top 12 Reviews
Remember, none of these is in order, to find the best product for you, look through all of them, some of them are near the end that may be better in performance.
This particular solar energy light is the most cost-effective option available in the market. LITOM focuses on the innovative design and makes use of a state of the art technology to produce the finest solar lights which can illuminate your house without hiking the monthly electric bill. Additionally, the illumination range of the product is quite vast and can be further improved by 270 degrees.
- Brighter and whiter solar lights
- The lights absorb the sun’s energy all day long
- They come in three convenient modes
- The product has a long lifespan of 36 months
- The good quality battery provided
- The lights are quite bright
- Sensors are super active and sensitive
- A tad bit weak lights
- Bad placement of switch and mounting boards
- The placement of the solar panels is not ideal
These solar lights are way brighter than the other lights available in the market. So far they have good performance and have created a good impression on the customers. The lights come in three modes, auto, test and permanent mode. While the test mode works both during the day and the night, the auto mode functions from dawn to dusk and the permanent mode functions all throughout the day.
- Super bright solar LD lights
- The lights illuminate a larger area.
- It has a 180-degree sensing angle and can cover a distance of 49ft.
- The product comes with smart motion sensors which work on three modes
- The sensors have builtin PIR
- These solar lights are well secured and weather resistant
- Easy and flexible to install
- Very bright lights
- Premium quality products
- Lights provide good area coverage
- Motion detector malfunctions at times
- Installation becomes a little difficult while using a power-screwdriver
- The sensor does not activate beyond 30-35ft
Read More: Best Solar Powered Spot Lights Reviews
These weather-resistant solar lights are sure to keep you and your neighbourhood safe. These lights are super easy to place and are mounted on adjustable lamp heads to provide maximum illumination. So, once these are working, you are sure to sleep in peace with nothing to worry about.
- This best outdoor solar powered motion security lights come with adjustable lamp heads that move upwards, horizontally, downwards and to the sides, thereby offering maximum coverage
- Ideally, these lights can be placed in garages, pathways, sheds and remote areas
- The lights get charged up during the day and can work all night long
- The product offers two settings- light duration and detection distance
- Convenient product
- Weather-resistant lights
- Works well though years
- The light has three heads that can be twisted when required
- Too bright light
- The motion sensors are not very sensitive
The outdoor safety lights are super easy to install and can immediately light up your lawns, gardens, porch, deck, and driveway. The solar panels of this product are well designed and effectively placed so that it takes minimum time to charge and can stay lit for a long time.
- These solar lights are quite bright and cover a larger area
- The lights are made from quality aluminium and are very safe to use
- Lights function from dusk to dawn and provide maximum security
- These lights can be rotated at a 360-degree angle and have infrared motion sensors attached
- Excellent positioning of solar panels
- The lights glow dimly when there is no motion and then pops into a bright illumination as any movement is detected
- Easy to install
- Lacks swivel point at the base
- Moisture might interfere with the performance of the piece
- Lights may seem weak
These solar lights provide great illumination and work wonderfully to save power and energy. These lights are perfect for lawns, gardens and pathways. Additionally, the solar lights have been designed without any dim mode. This works to extend the life span and work efficiency of the lights. They have been sized perfectly which aids it to turn on automatically when it detects any movement at 120 degrees or 10 ft distance.
- The No Dim Mode expands the life of the product
- Ultra-bright lights
- These lights are high efficiency and eco-friendly
- Super weatherproof lights
- The company promises a 30- day full refund after service policy
- Bright lights which stay on for more than a minute
- Easy to install
- Effective on/off switch to turn on or turn off the lights when not required
- The screws used to install the lights are made of cheap material
- Stays lit only on motion detection
- Motion detection is inconsistent
Though these solar lights can give the other lights in the market a good run for the money, it’s important to install these lights in places where it can get the maximum illumination. Having said that, these lights should be installed away from any shade, building or tree foliage. Since the lights require a heavy amount of sunlight to charge, its capacity and performance will depend on the amount of sunlight it gets throughout the day. But notably, these are one of the best possible solar lights available in the market.
- The lights offer three horizontal modes
- The product comes with sensitive PIR Motion Inductor
- High efficient LED lights which provide maximum illumination
- Waterproof and heatproof lights
- Premium quality lights
- Lasts all night long
- Motion sensors work wonderfully
- Lasts for 6 hours during summer and 3 hours in winter without charging
- The solar panel is placed at an angle so it does not get the direct sun rays
- Does not hold the charge for long
- Issues faced in Setting B and C
This is the ideal solar power security lights that make use of the sun’s energy to keep your neighbourhood well protected during the night. The light turns on as soon as it detects any form of motion. The 80 LED super motion light comes into play immediately!
- Ideal to be used in garages, sheds pathways, remote locations and such other places
- The 80 LED solar motion light comes with a rechargeable battery
- Motion detection up to 30 feet
- Weather-resistant design
- No wiring or main power required
- Wonderful lighting coverage
- Easy to install design
- Amazing light output
- Does not work well on overcast days
- The battery used is of the old variety
- Installation can get tricky
This particular product comes with three indicators and is the ideal option if you are looking for some bright light to lit up your backyard, garden, porch or garage. The lights are designed to be water-resistant and can light up pathways and outside areas pretty well.
- The security light comes in three adjustable modes
- Lights are both eco-friendly and energy saving
- The waterproof and rustproof design makes the lights run for years
- The product has solar motion light parameters
- Bright and responsive lights
- Ideal as additional security lights
- Provides a cool tone light
- Premium quality lights
- May falter to respond to the motion
- Not ideal for cold places
- Difficult to install
This particular light functions in any area where it has access to the direct sun rays. Thus, these security lights can be an ideal option for your backyard, lawn, garden and garage. The motion sensors are super sensitive and turn the light on immediately as soon as any person or object enters its 16-foot range with a 90-degree angle.
- Light takes about 30 seconds to activate
- Durable and weatherproof design
- Comes with batteries
- Convenient and easy to use lights
- Excellent motion sensors
- Rechargeable battery included
- Drains battery quickly
- Difficult to install
- Stays on for only 12 seconds
These lights have dual heads to provide outdoor illumination, powered by PIR Motion Detection Sensors. Additionally, the product comes with a 360-degree solar panel with 360-degree rotational lights that can illuminate a vast area. The motion sensors are very sensitive and turn on the light as soon as someone or something comes in its activation range.
- 360 degree rotational light with invisible pinhole switch
- The light offers 2 modes and is powered by a PIR sensor.
- 17 per cent conversion rate
- Weatherproof lights
- Easy to install
- Premium quality lights
- Convenient and easy to use
- Ideal LED motion sensor
- The solar panel cannot keep the lights on all throughout the night
- Initial confusion while turning on the unit
- Does not cover a vast area
This solar light is quite convenient and easy to use and is not overly complicated. The functions are pretty clean and smooth to follow. These lights are well designed to save energy, has a long life and offers smooth performance. The best part is that these lights can be used for multiple purposes. For instance, these can be installed as floodlights, aisle lights, yard lights and much more.
- Energy efficient
- Waterproof design
- Highly sensitive and we’ll adjusted design
- Highly durable and long-lasting product
- Super bright lights
- Ambient interface
- Super effective motion sensors
- Complicated installation
- Does not cover a vast area
- Not made from sturdy material
The ENGREPO 2 Pack Solar Lights are very flexible and the solar panels can be adjusted up to 180 degrees. Additionally, the lights can be set at and below 90 degrees. With these lights installed at your place, you can rest assured that no one can trespass in your property. The motion sensors activate when an object or individual is within 26 feet distance.
- Super flexible lights
- Sensitive PIR motion sensor
- Efficient solar panels with large batteries
- Lights offer three effective modes
- Very easy to install
- Small effective lights
- Easy installation process
- Super study lights
- Premium quality material
- Lights do not stay on for a longer time after motion is detected
- It’s effective when it receives direct sun rays
- Not weatherproof
Things To Consider While Choosing The Best Solar Motion Security Lights
If you are thinking about installing solar motion security lights then it’s important to know that there are many brands which manufacture these lights. Amidst so many brands it’s natural to get confused. However, your buying decision can be made easy if you are aware of a few features that you must look into.
Range Capacity Of The Lights
Motion solar security lights are great if you want to enhance the security of your house. These are very easy to install and sends alerts whenever an intruder or guest tries to enter the house. Since security is one of the most important attributes of these security lights, the range consideration is of prime importance. You will want the security lights to have a wider range covering the back door, front door, garage, porch and such other nooks and corners of the house.
This is yet another important point of consideration. The lithium-ion battery capacity of the solar security lights must be looked into before purchase. The battery life goes on to determine how long the security lights will function without being charged by solar energy. If the battery life is weak it will not work for long and will require frequent charging. Additionally, it’s important to opt for security lights that have a dim mode feature.
The lifespan of the outdoor security lights must also be considered. If the security lights have a longer lifespan, then it reduces the need for frequent change. This is also the hallmark of a trusted brand.
The Intensity Of The Light
The light given out by the LED is yet another important point of consideration, especially if these lights are going to be the sole source of illumination in a given area. To quantify the light intensity of the different outdoor security lights, the unit of reference is usually lumen. This refers to the flux of light that is emitted from a light source.
The Flexibility Of The Lights
It’s important to consider the ease of installation, rotation and the different modes before you can go out and select a solar light of your choice. It’s always advisable to choose motion security lights that offer multiple modes like dim, continuous light, motion detection and such others than a single mode.
Read More: Best Solar Powered Pathway Lights Reviews
Who Needs Solar Motion Lights?
Solar motion lights work for a variety of different purposes. Security is one of them. Below we will be taking a look at some people who might use these lights and for what purposes.
- Light up dark areas (Homeowners)
- Enhance gardens with dramatic lighting (Homeowners. Garden Enthusiasts)
- Street lighting and visibility (Downtown Offices. Businesses to light up areas where their customers have less lighting, usually around the outside of the building)
- The path for Parks and Recreational grounds (Cities use these type of lightings so civilians can see the path during night time)
- Security (Homeowners, Businesses etc.… You will know if unwanted people come near your house, your lights will flash bright)
How Do They Work?
Solar Motion Lights are known for their easy installation, most companies write on the box “Install in seconds” Of course if it’s your first time installing, it may take more than a few seconds. Essentially to set it up, you would receive 2 screws, and your Solar Lighting would have 2 holes so it can be screwed onto place anywhere you want. Other Solar Lightings come with sticky backs. So you can stick ‘em where you want them. Some people even use super glue so that thieves (if they’re brave enough) don’t go around trying to steal your lighting.
Solar Motion Lights work as their name implies. They gather sunlight in the day and convert it into usable energy to power the LED lights at night. The sensors can usually detect motion and switch on automatically, then switch off when no motion is detected. Some Solar Motion Lights are fully automatic, switch off at dawn, and turn on at dusk. They also dim when motion isn’t detected. So the transition from no light to bright light is nullified, as there is low light because its dim when motion is detected it turns on.
Types of Motion Sensors
The following are the types of motion sensors that are used in the solar lights to detect any form of movement.
Passive Infrared Sensors
The speciality of this sensor is that it detects body heat, thus obviously it’s the most common form of sensor used in the home security solar lighting systems. When the system is armed the motion sensors get activated. As the sensors warm-up, it generates heat and creates a protective grid in the surrounding area. However, if moving objects block too many grid zones and the infrared energy level changes, then the sensor trips.
Dual Technology Motion Sensors
Many a time, motion sensors have combined features to reduce the occurrence of false alarms. For instance, it’s possible to combine the features of a Passive Infrared sensor with a microwave sensor. Since both operate in different spectrums, one passive and one active, the Dual technology motion sensors are quite less likely to cause any false alarm. Additionally, to cause a false alarm both sensor must be tripped and that occurs rarely.
These sensors send out microwave pulses that measure the reflection of the various moving objects. Though they cover a larger area when compared to infrared sensors, they are greatly vulnerable to electrical impulses and are a tad bit expensive.
This type of solar security lights emits infra-red rays from the LED. Using these rays, the sensors measure the distance of the person or objects. If the object or person is within a designated range then it detects the movement.
As the name suggests, this type of solar motion sensor detects vibrations. These types of sensors use a small mass placed on the lever.
Benefits Of Using A Solar Security Motion Sensor
While we are discussing the features, attributes and types of the various solar security lights, have you ever wondered what benefits do they provided in comparison to the regular security lights? Well, there is more than one benefit for sure. However, let’s look at the top ones which will make you consider installing these in your house.
Solar security lights are solar-powered, needless to say, that they save a lot of energy. These security lights charge up on solar power and store it throughout the day and use the same at night. So now your garden can be lit all night long with no additional charges!
No Separate Outlets Required
Solar security lights do not require separate outlets to power themselves. They have small solar panels which absorb the energy of the sun to recharge the batteries. If the solar lights are charged throughout the day, they can provide illumination for up to 10 hours.
No Fire Hazards
Solar-powered security lights pose no fire threats which becomes another benefit of installing these in the homes. Since these do not have any cables or wires, the chances of an accident reduce to a great extent.
One of the prime reasons for installing solar power security lights in the house is for their cost-effectiveness. While other lights charge up to $100, solar lights can bring the estimated expense down to $10. Plus these are super easy to install, so homeowners can do it themselves which saves any extra installation cost.
Home Security With Solar Sensor Security Lights
Do you know what is that one thing criminals are absolutely scared of? A sudden bright light in a pitch-black night. While they are tip-toeing their way to the home, a sudden illumination can give them the shock of their lives!
Thus, if you have motion sensors installed in your home or office, any criminal will reconsider breaking and entering your premises, lest they might get caught. Additionally, solar security lights provide enough illumination for facial recognition within a 30 feet radius. The power of the solar security lights can be clubbed with the power of a good solar security camera so that it’s possible to click a picture of the criminal right away.
Solar Powered Motion Security Lights FAQ
What Is The Best Outdoor Solar Motion Sensor Security Light?
Sunforce 82080 Motion Light is the best solar power lights that you can install in your house. These lights can be installed in a lot of places including garages, backyards, shed remote places and much more. The product comes with rechargeable batteries which makes these lights all the more effective.
Are Solar Motion Lights Any Good?
Solar motion lights can be quite effective to provide a high level of security to your neighbourhood. Assume that there is a power failure in your neighbourhood, and your house is engulfed into pitch darkness. This gives the goons and trespassers a chance to sneak into your house without your knowledge. However, if you have solar motion lights installed in your lawn or back yard, this task will not go down so easily. Solar lights do not have any connection to an electric grid. The lights turn on as soon as the sensors detect any motion within its range. Thus not only are these lights effective, but they are also durable, and pocket friendly too.
What Is A Solar Motion Sensor Light?
Lights powered by solar power save more energy and cost. They absorb the energy of the sun on broad daylight and use this energy to shine bright at night. These lights have motion sensors attached, which turns the lights on as soon as any movement within its stipulated range is observed.
How Long Do Solar Security Lights Last?
Generally. The battery life of the solar security lights lasts up to 3-4 years before they require replacement. The LEDs can, however, last 10 years or more. When the lights are unable to retain a charge or fail to illuminate at night, it can be concluded that it requires change. However, in addition to the age of the lights, there are a few other factors which affect the life of the lights.
How Long Do Motion Lights Stay On?
Mostly motion sensors stay on for 20 to 30 seconds after they are triggered. However, the settings can be altered to suit the needs of the user.
How Far Can A Motion Sensor Detect?
Most sensors can detect motion between 50 and 80 feet. This is a workable range and can keep your house and surroundings safe during the night hours.
Since there are many solar security lights available in the market, choosing the best solar motion security lights can become tricky. However with all the pointers that have been provided to you, choosing one that suits your need will not be difficult. However, choose a solar security light that is weather resistant since these lights are mostly placed outdoors. Additionally, it’s advisable to choose a light system that has extended battery life. Use the energy of the sun to keep your surroundings safe and secured. Illuminate with solar-powered security lights!